Friday, November 21, 2014

Psych 200 Week 8 Personal thoughts



After reading several articles, listening to podcasts, I preface this blog by the fact that I have been in what is considered to be “mid-life” for 13 years now.  Be that as it may, I can agree with some things. As for other statements of “fact”, or “research” I am not part of those statistics.
With regards to the article by Andrew Solomon, I cannot get behind a lot of what Senior discuses in her book, All Joy and No Fun.  Either Solomon did a poor review, or I do not see Seniors’ point as being true. She states in her book that “for the child’s sake and the child’s alone. Parents no longer raise children for the family’s sake or that of the broader world.” For me, that has not been my own personal experience. That is not what I have done, or continue to do. Additionally I do not always see this to be true. I feel the article just bounced around and didn’t pick up my interest for the story. I was disappointed.
The midlife myths were decent information. I could relate to some of the information, but for me life has not been the “norm” according to this article. Gallagher states “the data show that middle age is the very best time in life,” according to Ronald Kessler sociologist, and MIDMAC (University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research) fellow. He goes on to say “When looking at the total U.S. population, the best year is 50. You don’t have to deal with the aches and pains of old age or the anxieties of youth: Is anyone going to love me? Will I ever get my career off the ground? He continues to state why research says that this is the best time in one’s life. I suppose for some this is true. I find it difficult to believe that this research speaks for most.
I can see where this information would be more positive for persons as opposed to the “Myths” discussed in the article. It is good to note that the overwhelming majority of people, surveys show, accomplish the task of coming to terms with the realities of middle age through a long, gentle process-not an acute, painful crisis (Midlife Myths article).  I agree that many positives come from being mid-life.
Some positives are mastering experiences, going back to school, choosing what a person wants to do as opposed to “having to” do, and enjoying time doing what “you” want to do.  If I had the time, or dollars, it would be interesting to dig a bit deeper into the concepts and ideas of midlife. I like the term Erikson gives us “generativity”. I like to think that for me personally I value the idea, and would like to be remembered as being someone who truly cares about every generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment